Why can't I activate my wireless card?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:45:19 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:41:41 AM Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 07 February 2011 21:14:52 José Matos wrote:
> > On Monday 07 February 2011 19:48:49 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Thanks to lshw I now have it identified as
> > >
> > > Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
> > >
> > > I gather that I need some firmware download but so far haven't managed
> > > to find it.  Could someone please help?
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > I remember something like what follows for one such card:
> > http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras
>
> Thanks.  That's too old, but it got me on the right lines, giving me some
> clues of things to search for.  I started with "yum search broadcom", then
> installed b43* (some of which were already installed), broadcom-wl and
> kmod- wl.  Now the tools see my wireless network which is definitely a
> step in the right direction.  but...
>
> I see the Secrets dialog - endlessly.  I know the passphrase is correct,
> but it disappears for a second or two then re-appears.  What's the next
> stage?

Following instructions on http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Fedora
(except that there was a slightly later version available than mentioned on
that page) I did the extraction, then tried to install the firmware.

cd broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.3/driver
[root at AA1r]# b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/ wl_apsta_mimo.o
Sorry, the input file is either wrong or not supported by b43-fwcutter.
This file has an unknown MD5sum b84bc801b9b8f39069c252f533655af8.