font question

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:11:49 UTC 2011

Neal Becker wrote:

> Does that mean this font declares itself an alias for sans-serif?

I don't claim to understand these configurations, but it looks like
it.

If it is contained in /etc/fonts/conf.d, you can delete the link, so
that it will not apply to your system.

If it is contained in /etc/fonts/conf.avail, then it just means that
these are presets that you can choose to activate, by linking them in
the former directory.

My system does not have this file. I usually rpm -e all of the useless
fonts after installing a fresh system. A fresh Fedora system is
infested with all kinds of these fonts. I don't know if it bogs the
system down to have that many fonts. In the old Windows world, they
used to say that too many fonts slows the system down or takes up
memory, or something. I don't know about Linux, in this regard, but I
always get rid of them. I keep, and this should be the default
installation for Fedora, one good, comprehensive broad-spectrum UFT
font to cover non-latin characters.

> Seems a bit rude.

I'll say!!!