font question

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:55:56 UTC 2011

On Friday 15 Jul 2011 12:22:03 Neal Becker wrote:
> I just noticed this.  In 66-lohit-devanagari.conf, it says:
>
> <alias>
>   <family>Lohit Devanagari</family>
>   <default>
>     <family>sans-serif</family>
>   </default>
> </alias>
>
> Does that mean this font declares itself an alias for sans-serif?  Seems a
> bit rude.

I don't think it does.  As I understand it, it says that if you (the
application) are asked to display the font Lohit Devanagari, you will need to
use something from the sans-serif family.  Declarations like this are quite
common.  Of course I could be wrong, but I recall seeing many such
declarations over the years, mostly when the designer preferred some font that
is simply not common on systems.  A hint as to an alternative has to be
provided, and it's usually done by naming the family, although it can also
take the form of fontname1, fontname2, family name, which denotes the order of
preference.