Amarok problems - complications!

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 20 11:21:28 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:41:50 AM Anne Wilson wrote:
> amarok-2.4.1-1.fc14.i686
>
> I haven't had much time to play music lately, but today I planned to catch
> up on the new albums on Magnatune.  When Amarok started up it told me that
> I had very many duplicates in my collection, so the collection may not be
> completely added - very strange, because nothing has changed since I last
> used it.
>
> I found the first of the new albums that I wanted to hear and played the
> first track.  It moved on to the second track - no sound.  I had to Stop
> then Play to hear the track.  It moved on to the next track - no sound,
> and Stop and Play, etc..   I did this for three or four tracks after which
> Amarok become totally unresponsive and had to be killed.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing problems, or has my configuration got screwed
> up somehow?

I'm temporarily working on my netbook, while my laptop is away for repair.
This netbook has the same amarok version, and plays continuously.  Whatever
the problem is, it is a difference in the settings of the two installations, I
assume.  Any ideas what I should look for?

The less good news is that after installing the vlc backend for phonon my
external speaker card is recognised and the speaker test works, but amarok
doesn't use it - and when I go back to the systemsettings phonon screen it has
been reset to internal audio.  If anyone has thoughts on this I'd like to
hear, please