Printer Configuration no longer integrated in System Settings?

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:35:07 UTC 2011

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

> With KDE 4.6.95, I get a message stating:
>
> "The service Printer Configuration does not provide an interface
> KCModule...".
>
> Then it goes on:
>
> "Possible Reasons: An error occurred in your last KDE upgrade,
leaving
> an orphaned control model..."
>
> I know it was working only 2-3 weeks ago, when I last printed a
page.
> The printer applet correctly detected my printer and all went
> smoothly.
>
> However, printing has always been very, very slow, say, 5-10 minutes
> for one page. This has been a KDE problem for at least a year or
two.

I should have given it a try first, but I noticed that system-config-
printer was not installed, while system-config-printer-kde was
installed, so I installed the former, and then tried to print a
document. Voilà! It printed, and really fast, too! In a few seconds.

The printer module in system settings still shows that weird message
and clicking on the docked printer applet shows the same, but when
clicking print in kwrite, a window appears with my printer correctly
identified and a menu for changing the printer options is presented.

I guess installing system-config-printer was not necessary?