Question regarding the cashew and allow widgets on screensaver

Rick Sewill rsewill at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:22:23 UTC 2011

I am on the latest Fedora 15.

I wanted to enable "Allow widgets on screen saver".
This choice is found in System Settings -> Display and Monitor -> Screen Saver

Everything looked fine when I enabled "Allow widgets on screen saver",
but ... when I have the screen saver locked, the cashew will let me select the
"Settings" button without asking for a password.

The Settings screen is hesitant to come up, but if I am persistent
and keep trying, the Settings screen will come up.

On the Settings screen, I am able to select the "Open" button.
This lets me browse directories as if I was going to change my wallpaper.
I can see the names of directories and files.
This can be done without entering a password.

Question please: if we must have the cashew on the screen saver screen,
when we "Allow widgets on screen saver", is there a way to require the cashew
to ask for a password before letting someone use the Settings button?

Alternatively, can I make the cashew disappear from the screen saver screen?
I installed kde-plasma-ihatethecashew-0.4-3.fc15.x86_64.
Unfortunately, "I Hate the Cashew" is not a widget choice when I am in the
screen saver screen trying to add widgets.

I'd like to use "allow widgets on screensaver", but am hesitant.
The screen saver, to me, "saves" wear and tear on the monitor -and-
keeps others from seeing my files and directories without permission.

It may be true, they can only see the file names, not the file contents.
Even so, I consider this to be a security risk.