new KDE on RHEL/Centos/SL 6?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 07:41:27 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> Robert Szalai wrote:
>
>> I'm also wondering if there would be newer KDE on RHEL. For some
>> reason a solid base with a newer desktop seems to make sense to me.
>
> In what way is KDE under CentOS-6 less "solid" than KDE under Fedora-15?
> I use both, and I don't find one better (or worse) than the other.

KDE 4.3 is a tad bit too old for my taste, and lacks certain features.
For example, I just found out that there is no automount option when
plugging in a USB disk. That feature appeared in KDE 4.4, and here I
have to use an ugly custom cron job to check every minute whether
there is a USB hard drive to be mounted or not.

There are probably other small things missing as well. I would welcome
a KDE update on CentOS 6. ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko