new KDE on RHEL/Centos/SL 6?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Sep 17 11:14:47 UTC 2011

Marko Vojinovic wrote:

>>> I'm also wondering if there would be newer KDE on RHEL. For some
>>> reason a solid base with a newer desktop seems to make sense to me.
>>
>> In what way is KDE under CentOS-6 less "solid" than KDE under Fedora-15?
>> I use both, and I don't find one better (or worse) than the other.
>
> KDE 4.3 is a tad bit too old for my taste, and lacks certain features.
> For example, I just found out that there is no automount option when
> plugging in a USB disk. That feature appeared in KDE 4.4, and here I
> have to use an ugly custom cron job to check every minute whether
> there is a USB hard drive to be mounted or not.

Personally, I only run CentOS on servers,
and I don't care whether an application is old or new, as long as it runs.
I've updated to CentOS-6, but to be honest
I haven't found anything that is improved from my limited viewpoint.

In my experience with Fedora, any change to KDE is likely to cause problems
somewhere, so I'd like any update to be put off as long as possible,
as I don't like playing with servers.

It isn't important, but I didn't understand your example.
Surely you must know if you have attached a USB disk,
and so can mount it at that point?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net