Disabling unused speller language variants

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Feb 1 16:44:57 UTC 2012

Tomas Straupis wrote:
> Is there a way to disable (remove) non required speller variants
> (say English has much more variants than I need)?

Sorta (just delete the hunspell dictionaries), but those are part of the
hunspell-en package, so they will come back then next time hunspell-en is
updated. (RPM doesn't expect you to go and delete files installed by a
package.)

> To be more precise, I would like to leave just one English variant
> displayed in all KDE apps (say kmail, kwrite, konqueror etc.).
>
> Couldn't find anything on google... Tried looking at aspell/hunspell
> documentation with no luck... because I do not understand where does
> KDE get a list of languages anyway.

It scans for installed hunspell dictionaries. (I think the actual code used
for this purpose when using Sonnet (KDE's non-deprecated spellchecking API)
is inside the Enchant library. The legacy K3Spell code scanned the directory
directly. But in both cases, the hunspell dictionary directory gets scanned
for dictionaries you have installed.)

        Kevin Kofler