Can't logout of kde 4.8

freeslkr freeslkr.wl6x at mailnull.com
Sun Feb 26 20:12:04 UTC 2012

Mircea Sava <msava at ...> writes:

> On Sunday 26 February 2012 04:45:19 freeslkr wrote:

>> I can't logout/restart/shut down from a KDE session.  Nothing
>> happens.  I'm on Fedora 16 with the kde48 repo enabled.
>> I've tried it running kdm and
>> gdm.  I can logout of a GNOME session running either display
>> manager.  I've recently upgraded from Fedora 14, and this
>> hasn't worked since the upgrade.
>> I can suspend and switch user. Is anyone else having this
>> problem, or does anyone have ideas?
>>
>> Thank you.

> Greetings.
>
> The way I see it the culprit clearly is the system upgrade,
> especially if you upgraded to Fedora 16 directly from Fedora 14.
> No one seems to know or able to give a straight answer as to
> why, but the accepted wisdom is to upgrade Fedora from one
> release to the next and not jump ahead.

Would you mind elaborating, as I'm not able to follow your train
of thought as to why it's clearly my upgrade method.  Even if I
just accept that conclusion, I don't see what to change on my
system to get KDE logouts working.  Do you recommend that I
install some specific packages, remove some specific packages,
change configuration somewhere?

> Also there is the issue of the upgrading method, which you
> didn't specify.
> Fedora people officially recommend upgrading using preupgrade
> but even that, when used properly, can give faulty results.

I used the preupgrade method.  I'll spare all of the exact details,
but after upgrading, I ran:
    > yum groupupdate Base "KDE Software Compilation"
to ensure the minimal set of expected packages are installed.

I ran:
    > yum list extras
to make sure there are no lingering packages from Fedora 14.

I used `rpmverify` to verify all packages in the rpm database.
Everything checks out OK, except for some expected configuration
files.

I used `rpm -q -f` on all system files to find and handle any
leftover junk from removed packages.

All of this left me fairly confident that the bits on my HDDs
are correct.  Of course, I may be missing a package or
configuration change that would have happened if I had gone
the route of wiping my HDDs and doing a fresh install.

> Possible fix: backup and nuke your ~/.kde folder then hard
> restart and log in your KDE session.

This was done before my first login to KDE after the upgrade.

I failed to mention in the original post that attempted logouts
leave no traces in system logs or .xsession-errors.