virtuoso_t high CPU with Akonadi

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:57:58 UTC 2012

On Friday, March 23, 2012 10:49:07 AM Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 03/23/2012 10:45 AM, Armelius Cameron wrote:
> > Hello,
> > This starts happening after upgrading to KDE 4.8.1. I constantly see
> > virtuoso_t using high CPU (~99%), and my laptop fan is constantly running
> > at high speed.
> >
> > Google search landed me on this page:
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#High_CPU_or_Memory_usage
> >
> > So I tried closing kontact, then 'akonadictl stop', and virtuoso_t process
> > is gone from 'top'. When I start akonadi and Kontact, it's back.
> >
> > I checked krunner config page as suggested, but I don't see those services
> > as enabled in my plugins. I tried reboot, re-login, etc and virtuoso_t
> > keeps coming back.
>
> Seems to me that it's indexing your mail, to enable search functionality.
>
> Now, one problem is if such takes a *long* time or never finishes...
> How long did you let it run before resorting to:
> akonadictl stop
> ?

It's been running for 2-3 hours maybe. Should it takes that long ?
I guess it depends on how many emails to index, but on the other hand I have
about the same amount of emails since before the upgrade (with the same
'daily' traffic). Unless.. is this something new ?

> If you don't want mail/search enabled, you can goto
> systemsettings->desktop search and uncheck 'enable email indexer'

I will try that if this keeps on going.

Related question, my email accounts are all IMAP. so what is it trying to
index ? just the header or the whole message (and attachment) ? If the latter,
that would be considerable network traffic.

Thanks.
AC