Setting a protocol handler

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 02:59:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 09:59 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 03/27/2012 08:02 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> Any app that can support magnet links needs to have
> >> x-scheme-handler/magnet listed among supported MimeTypes in their
> >> .desktop file, e.g.:
> >>
> >> MimeTypes=...;x-scheme-handler/magnet;
> >
> > /usr/share/applications/qBittorrent.desktop already has the line:
> >
> > 	MimeType=application/x-bittorrent;x-scheme-handler/magnet;
> >
> > I copied it to /home/poc/.config/autostart/qBittorrent.desktop
>
> Wrong place to put it.  Either edit the one in /usr/share/applications,
> or put your modified one in ~/.local/share/applications

As I said before, it's already there:

$ grep magnet /usr/share/applications/qBittorrent.desktop
MimeType=application/x-bittorrent;x-scheme-handler/magnet;

I had tried putting it in .config/autostart since QBT is an autostarted
program, that's all. Just for the heck of it, I also copied it
to .local/share/applications as you suggest. It made no difference.

Still counting this as 'hard' (not least because I don't consider any of
the above suggestions as remotely obvious to the average user, even if
they did actually work).

poc