Setting a protocol handler

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:53:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 09:11 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 21:21 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > On 03/29/2012 09:10 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > Yes, doesn't work. See recent message.
> >
> > But, does it work with xdg-open?
>
> I already said it did.

But now it doesn't! This is the sequence of events:

- I ran xdg-settings as mentioned previously
- I used "xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler magnet" to confirm
- I ran xdg-open magnet:... and it started a torrent download in QBT
- I clicked on a magnet link on a web page and it tried to run Ktorrent.
- I logged out
- I logged in
- I used "xdg-settings get ..." to confirm that the scheme-handler was
still set.
- I ran Konqueror to see what would happen, and clicked on a magnet
link.
- Konqueror tried to run Ktorrent.
- I killed Konqueror
- I ran "xdg-settings get ..." to make the sure the scheme had not
changed.
- I ran xdg-open magnet:... and it tried to run Ktorrent!
- Logged out and in again
- Rechecked the scheme-handler
- Tried xdg-open again, and again it tried to run Ktorrent.

Could Konqueror have changed some setting behind the scenes?

poc