Setting a protocol handler

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Mar 29 15:23:06 UTC 2012

> On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 09:11 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> But, does it work with xdg-open?
>> I already said it did.
> But now it doesn't! This is the sequence of events:
>
> - I ran xdg-settings as mentioned previously
> - I used "xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler magnet" to confirm
> - I ran xdg-open magnet:... and it started a torrent download in QBT
> - I clicked on a magnet link on a web page and it tried to run Ktorrent.
> - I logged out
> - I logged in
> - I used "xdg-settings get ..." to confirm that the scheme-handler was
> still set.
> - I ran Konqueror to see what would happen, and clicked on a magnet
> link.
> - Konqueror tried to run Ktorrent.
> - I killed Konqueror
> - I ran "xdg-settings get ..." to make the sure the scheme had not
> changed.
> - I ran xdg-open magnet:... and it tried to run Ktorrent!
> - Logged out and in again
> - Rechecked the scheme-handler
> - Tried xdg-open again, and again it tried to run Ktorrent.
>
> Could Konqueror have changed some setting behind the scenes?

I don't know.....  But, here is something equally bizarre.....

I did the following....

1.  yum erase of ktorrent and transmission
2.  logout/login
3.  xdg-open magnet ---- fails as expected
4.  yum install ktorrent
5.  logout/login
6.  xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler magnet   returns nothing
7.  xdg-open magnet  ---- ktorrent is called
8.  yum install transmission
9   logout/login
10. xdg-settings get default-url-scheme-handler magnet   returns transmission-gtk.desktop
11. xdg-open magnet  ---- ktorrent is called

????  why not transmission?

I think I need to know what files are altered by the xdg commands and what are the
system-wide v.s. per-user config files.

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both
be wrong. -- Dandemis