Migrating user accounts from F14 to F17

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 00:46:15 UTC 2012

Everyone:

I hadn't been paying close enough attention, obviously. Turns out that
sometime between F14 and F17, user accounts are supposed to have UIDs of
1000 or higher. But all mine were in the 500s.

Now, I created them all right. I gave them legitimate Unix names. I can
even make Samba users out of some of them. But I can't see them in the
Users and Groups section. Nor could I make them admins in the "Create
User" dialog. I had to create another user, a dummy user, just to have
someone with admin privileges.

What is the most elegant solution? Must I create all new accounts and
migrate the contents of my home directories from one user to another?
(And do a recursive chown on all of them as I work?) Or is there another
way to achieve the goal of having user accounts with decent UIDs? (Short
of setting up another box, that is. And even that is problematic: I
can't seem to get Samba to work properly as a server, though I made it
work well enough as a client.)

Temlakos