File lnusertemp issue

Andreas Petzold andreas.petzold at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 06:45:39 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 2:41 AM, Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just for the record, I found the file. Thanks for letting me know where to
> find it, for future reference.

locate lnusertemp (works only for file systems that are crawled by updatedb)

yum whatprovides \*/lnusertemp and using the output with rpm -ql
(obviously works only for files provided by rpms)

www.google.com

are just a few of many different ways to locate a file on your machine.

> I solved my initial problem, though I must say my solution does /not/
> satisfy. I had to make sure to re-create all my user accounts with the exact
> same UID. The trouble is, all those UIDs were in the 500s. I thought I could
> let the system designate them in the 1000s. But when I did that, I couldn't
> log in.

UIDs are _unique identifiers_ of users that are used (among other
things) to define access privileges for files. /etc/passwd provides
the mapping between the numeric UIDs and the usernames. The latter
don't mean much to the OS.If you have a home dir of a user with a
certain UID on disk and you create the user in the system with a
different UID, she will not be able to access her home dir. To fix
that, either create the user with the same UID as used on the file
system, or chown -R the directory to the UID:GID of your liking.

Cheers,

Andreas