Migrating user accounts from F14 to F17

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 01:11:52 UTC 2012

On 10/06/2012 09:02 PM, Klaatu wrote:
> I'd try something like:
>
> su -c 'usermod --uid 1000 username'
>
> -klaatu
>
>> Everyone:
>>
>> I hadn't been paying close enough attention, obviously. Turns out that
>> sometime between F14 and F17, user accounts are supposed to have UIDs of
>> 1000 or higher. But all mine were in the 500s.
>>
>> Now, I created them all right. I gave them legitimate Unix names. I can
>> even make Samba users out of some of them. But I can't see them in the
>> Users and Groups section. Nor could I make them admins in the "Create
>> User" dialog. I had to create another user, a dummy user, just to have
>> someone with admin privileges.
>>
>> What is the most elegant solution? Must I create all new accounts and
>> migrate the contents of my home directories from one user to another?
>> (And do a recursive chown on all of them as I work?) Or is there another
>> way to achieve the goal of having user accounts with decent UIDs? (Short
>> of setting up another box, that is. And even that is problematic: I
>> can't seem to get Samba to work properly as a server, though I made it
>> work well enough as a client.)
>>
>> Temlakos

Klaatu:

I just tried that on the user account I could best afford to lose. It
worked. I can still log into it, but now it's visible in Users and Groups.

Now: I know how to move that dummy user "out of the way" temporarily, to
make room for my main user account. (I'd probably want to log in as
someone else when I did that.) But: how do I vest "administrative
privileges" in an existing user? And how do I modify a group? Is
"groupmod" the appropriate command?

Thanks in advance.

Temlakos