Migrating user accounts from F14 to F17

Klaatu klaatu at straightedgelinux.com
Sun Oct 7 13:49:16 UTC 2012

> On 10/06/2012 09:02 PM, Klaatu wrote:
> > I'd try something like:
> >
> > su -c 'usermod --uid 1000 username'
> >
> > -klaatu
> >
> >> Everyone:
> >>
> >> I hadn't been paying close enough attention, obviously. Turns out that
> >> sometime between F14 and F17, user accounts are supposed to have UIDs of
> >> 1000 or higher. But all mine were in the 500s.
> >>
> >> Now, I created them all right. I gave them legitimate Unix names. I can
> >> even make Samba users out of some of them. But I can't see them in the
> >> Users and Groups section. Nor could I make them admins in the "Create
> >> User" dialog. I had to create another user, a dummy user, just to have
> >> someone with admin privileges.
> >>
> >> What is the most elegant solution? Must I create all new accounts and
> >> migrate the contents of my home directories from one user to another?
> >> (And do a recursive chown on all of them as I work?) Or is there another
> >> way to achieve the goal of having user accounts with decent UIDs? (Short
> >> of setting up another box, that is. And even that is problematic: I
> >> can't seem to get Samba to work properly as a server, though I made it
> >> work well enough as a client.)
> >>
> >> Temlakos
>
> Klaatu:
>
> I just tried that on the user account I could best afford to lose. It
> worked. I can still log into it, but now it's visible in Users and Groups.
>
> Now: I know how to move that dummy user "out of the way" temporarily, to
> make room for my main user account. (I'd probably want to log in as
> someone else when I did that.) But: how do I vest "administrative
> privileges" in an existing user? And how do I modify a group? Is
> "groupmod" the appropriate command?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Temlakos

Groupmod would allow you to change gid's, so i'm not sure if that's what you
want.

You probably want more usermod. To make user klaatu's primary group "klaatu",
and to append supplementary group memberships - like wheel, most significantly
for admin powers:

usermod -g klaatu --append -G wheel,foo,bar klaatu

I think that should do it.

- klaatu