Migrating user accounts from F14 to F17

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 18:33:02 UTC 2012

On 10/07/2012 09:49 AM, Klaatu wrote:
>> On 10/06/2012 09:02 PM, Klaatu wrote:
>>> I'd try something like:
>>>
>>> su -c 'usermod --uid 1000 username'
>>>
>>> -klaatu

>> Klaatu:
>>
>> I just tried that on the user account I could best afford to lose. It
>> worked. I can still log into it, but now it's visible in Users and Groups.
>>
>> Now: I know how to move that dummy user "out of the way" temporarily, to
>> make room for my main user account. (I'd probably want to log in as
>> someone else when I did that.) But: how do I vest "administrative
>> privileges" in an existing user? And how do I modify a group? Is
>> "groupmod" the appropriate command?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Temlakos
> Groupmod would allow you to change gid's, so i'm not sure if that's what you
> want.
>
> You probably want more usermod. To make user klaatu's primary group "klaatu",
> and to append supplementary group memberships - like wheel, most significantly
> for admin powers:
>
> usermod -g klaatu --append -G wheel,foo,bar klaatu
>
> I think that should do it.
>
> - klaatu

The "wheel" group is one of the most valuable additions to Linux. If you
create your first user and check the Admin box, the installer makes that
first user a member of "wheel" and "dialout." Now I can understand
"wheel." But "dialout"?

Anyway, I added my main account to "wheel" and "dialout." Once I did
that, that main account had admin privileges. And even sudo privileges,
which I have sought for a long time. Now maybe someone can tell me what
privileges come with membership in the "dialout" group.

Temlakos