KMail/Dovecot creating mail folder

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Sat Jul 6 22:07:27 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:

>> Incidentally, I have no idea what "server-side subscriptions" are.
>> Is this a speciality of KMail, or do other mail programs share the
>> concept?

> it is a basic IMAP concept
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501#section-6.3.6

Thanks for your response.
Actually, your link doesn't appear on the face of it
to refer to what KMail calls Folders.

> someone may have a ton of folders with archived mails
> and is away some weeks only have access per mobile device
>
> nothing more helpful than unsubscribe from unneeded folders
> without delete or change anything of the data

So how would you subscribe to, or unsubscribe from, a given folder?

Actually, I see there is a file ~/Maildir/subscriptions on my server.
This does in fact list the folder Spam that I am interested in,
but which I cannot see from KMail on my laptop.

I see that if I run KMail on my server, I can see this folder.

I can also see it if I run Evolution on my laptop.
So it seems it is a specific KMail problem,
rather than a dovecot issue.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net