KMail/Dovecot creating mail folder

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jul 6 22:14:57 UTC 2013

Am 07.07.2013 00:07, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> Incidentally, I have no idea what "server-side subscriptions" are.
>>> Is this a speciality of KMail, or do other mail programs share the
>>> concept?
>
>> it is a basic IMAP concept
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3501#section-6.3.6
>
> Thanks for your response.
> Actually, your link doesn't appear on the face of it
> to refer to what KMail calls Folders.

folders in context of IMAP are on the server
there is no "KMail calls Folders"

> So how would you subscribe to, or unsubscribe from, a given folder?

sorry i am not a kmail user, in thunderbird you simply
right-click on the account name and select "subscriptions"
i think called in english, in german it's label is "Abbonieren"

> Actually, I see there is a file ~/Maildir/subscriptions on my server.
> This does in fact list the folder Spam that I am interested in,
> but which I cannot see from KMail on my laptop.
>
> I see that if I run KMail on my server, I can see this folder

sounds like a damaged profile

> I can also see it if I run Evolution on my laptop.
> So it seems it is a specific KMail problem,
> rather than a dovecot issue

folder subscriptions are such a baisc IMAP capabilitie
that it is hardly broken on a widely used mailserver