akonadi resource

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 11:52:02 UTC 2013

On Monday 15 of July 2013 23:35:43 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> There seems to be a bug in KMail;
> I'm running dovecot on a server,
> and if I try to create a new top-level folder
> in KMail on my laptop
> there is a problem which seems to be to do with akonadi.
> I get the message
>   alfred: Could not create collection Spam:resourceId: 13
> every 30 seconds or so on my laptop
> until I ssh to the server and delete the folder.
> (Here "alfred" is the name of the account, and of the server,
> and "Spam" is the name of the folder I have created.)
>
> I'm not asking how to solve this problem.
> (I've submitted a bugzilla.)
> But I'm interested to know a bit more
> about akonadi and its "collections" and "resources".
> Is there some documentation on this?
> I looked around but didn't find much.
> I know if I go to System Settings=>Akonadi Configuration
> I see a list of akonadi resources.
> But what exactly is a resource?
> Can I get information on a resource if I have its Id?

Hi,

resource is a process which is running in the background and handles
communication between the Akonadi server and the actual storage (IMAP server,
maildir, ical file, Google server,....).

Collection is an abstract "folder". Each collection can contain multiple
subcollections and Items. In case of IMAP resource, collections represent mail
folders. In case of ical file for instance, collection represents the calendar.

Check this [0] page and some of the links that are there, you might get some
more info from there. Note that the page is very outdated, but the basic
design ideas have not changed muched.

To get access to all data that Akonadi has, check Akonadi Console
(akonadiconsole).

Cheers,
Dan

[0] https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi

--
Daniel Vrátil
Associate Software Engineer, KDE Desktop Team

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348