KMail painfully slow... why?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Sep 19 19:22:21 UTC 2013

Am 19.09.2013 21:17, schrieb fedora at howlingfrog.com:
> On September 19, 2013 06:42:49 PM Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Thu, 2013-09-19 at 10:28 -0700, fedora at howlingfrog.com wrote:
>>> Anyone got any suggestions?
>>
>> Try a different MUA? I'm afraid I gave up on Kmail a long time ago. I
>> don't want to start a flamewar, and I like most of the rest of KDE
>> (though I could never really see the point of Activities) but this being
>> Linux you aren't condemned to "all or nothing".
>
> Oh, I look regularly for an alternative MUA.  Ever since the switch to
> akonadi, I go searching every few months to find a new MUA that'll be able to
> consume the mail I've got here.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good MUA that'll accept ~6GB of mail, organized across
> ~3000 nested maildirs?
>
> And no, switching it off to an IMAP server isn't in the cards.  Neither is
> "just upload it all to GMail and let them deal with it"

Thunderbird

i have *any* message i ever sent or received until now starting with
2003 in a folder-structure, search is full indexed and fast, eahc folder
is one mbox and at the end of the day mbox is more effective than maildir

5 GB in 3379 files, this year around 100000 messages

why mbox is more efefctive?

if you at least have subfolders for each yaer you normally do not
touch and change any previous ones - so they are unchanged and rsync
is very fast because it transfers differences - i sync my complete
prfile each day from my homeserver to my office wrokstation with
rsync and it takes around one minute with *all my data* not only
the mozilla profiles