KMail painfully slow... why?

Klaatu klaatu at straightedgelinux.com
Fri Sep 20 17:28:57 UTC 2013

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 09:22:21 PM Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 19.09.2013 21:17, schrieb fedora at howlingfrog.com:
> >>
> >> Try a different MUA? I'm afraid I gave up on Kmail a long time ago. I
> >> don't want to start a flamewar, and I like most of the rest of KDE
> >> (though I could never really see the point of Activities) but this being
> >> Linux you aren't condemned to "all or nothing".
> >
> > Oh, I look regularly for an alternative MUA.  Ever since the switch to
> > akonadi, I go searching every few months to find a new MUA that'll be able
> > to consume the mail I've got here.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a good MUA that'll accept ~6GB of mail, organized
> > across ~3000 nested maildirs?
> >
> > And no, switching it off to an IMAP server isn't in the cards.  Neither is
> > "just upload it all to GMail and let them deal with it"
>
> Thunderbird
>
> i have *any* message i ever sent or received until now starting with
> 2003 in a folder-structure, search is full indexed and fast, eahc folder
> is one mbox and at the end of the day mbox is more effective than maildir
>
> 5 GB in 3379 files, this year around 100000 messages
>
> why mbox is more efefctive?
>
> if you at least have subfolders for each yaer you normally do not
> touch and change any previous ones - so they are unchanged and rsync
> is very fast because it transfers differences - i sync my complete
> prfile each day from my homeserver to my office wrokstation with
> rsync and it takes around one minute with *all my data* not only
> the mozilla profiles

+1 for Thunderbird. We use it here at the school where I work, and while I
don't have people's exact file sizes and counts on hand, I can say definitely
it handles a lot of email; most people have boxes dating back to 2004 and it
hasn't been an issue.

I use Kmail for my own work machine just to keep up with the project but I am
not prepared to have 'real' users use it yet. Still too many issues that I
see, generally, on a daily basis.

- klaatu