Chrome (35+) System Tray Issues and KDE

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Tue Jun 17 17:36:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 2:27 AM, Sudhir Khanger <sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com>
wrote:

> Chrome, looks like, will adopt libappindicator and Ubuntu won't
> consider any other behavior other than how Unity wants to handle
> system tray.

Well, I'm not sure if it is appropriate to attribute this behavior to
Unity.  According to the blog entry posted above:

> *Some years ago the Plasma hackers started to address these issues by
> implementing a new specification called Status Notifier
> <http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/knotifications/html/classKStatusNotifierItem.html>.
> This specification got also adopted in Unity/Ubuntu as the Application
> Indicator <https://unity.ubuntu.com/projects/appindicators/>. *

The only thing that still bugs me is the fuzzy icon issue
<https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=382487>, but it
hopefully will be corrected soon.  In any event, you've got the legacy
method still available for about another year; but it probably will stop
working in Fedora 22.