Chrome (35+) System Tray Issues and KDE

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Wed Jun 18 01:36:34 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:36:02 AM Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 2:27 AM, Sudhir Khanger <sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Chrome, looks like, will adopt libappindicator and Ubuntu won't
> > consider any other behavior other than how Unity wants to handle
> > system tray.
>
> Well, I'm not sure if it is appropriate to attribute this behavior to
>
> Unity.  According to the blog entry posted above:
> > *Some years ago the Plasma hackers started to address these issues by
> > implementing a new specification called Status Notifier
> > <http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/knotifications/html
> > /classKStatusNotifierItem.html>. This specification got also adopted in
> > Unity/Ubuntu as the Application Indicator
> > <https://unity.ubuntu.com/projects/appindicators/>. *
>
> The only thing that still bugs me is the fuzzy icon issue
> <https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=382487>, but it
> hopefully will be corrected soon.  In any event, you've got the legacy
> method still available for about another year; but it probably will stop
> working in Fedora 22.

I said rather too much in a single line. My reading tells me that current
implementation of libappindicator, although based on KStatusNotifierItems, is
a product unto itself and have diverged heavily from the parent library.
AppIndicators are geared and developed keeping Unity in the mind by Canonical
developers and in that case it might not be the best possible option for
cross-desktop-environment development. The reason I am saying it is because I
found AppIndicators to be very fluid and functional on Unity. On Plasma
Desktop you have to right-click the Chrome's rich-notification bell and open
the notification and that goes to some non-symmetric position on the screen.
It's an early version of Chrome's implementation so I am keeping my fingers
crossed.

Sudhir.