F22 Live KDE on a VM

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 12:38:38 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-04-21 at 20:08 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 04/21/15 19:57, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I've installed the Beta 3 version of F22 KDE Live in a VirtualBox VM.
> > This was a clean install, i.e. get a fresh VM, boot the Live CD image,
> > then install to disk by clicking on the button. My host machine is F21
> > has plenty of horsepower and an NVidia graphics card under the
> > proprietary driver. I also installed the VBox Guest Additions and ran
> > "dnf update" in the guest.
>
> A bit confused on the series of events...
>
> 1.  Booted Live media.
> 2.  Installed to disk using default file system layout(?)
> 3.  Booted the installed system

3a. Ran dnf install kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc
3b. Ran the VBox Guest Additions script (which requires kernel headers
and gcc).
3c. Rebooted and noted the problems already mentioned.

> 4.  Ran "dnf update"
> 6.  Rebooted

6a Problems still present.

What I can't remember at the moment is whether I had to run stage 3a
from single-user mode due to a non-functioning desktop. I did have to so
this at stage 4.

> And then.....the unusable DE as noted below?
> > After logging in, the resulting Plasma DE is unusable. Panel menus pop
> > up but windows don't appear on the desktop; in fact nothing appears
> > there except the root background.
> >
> > Other Fedora installations (F21 Workstation) work correctly in the same
> > setup.
> >

> So far, I've only done a "netinstall" of KDE B3.  And, there is also the choice of running the non-debug kernel.  I run that since it is faster.

I might try that. My only purpose in all this is to try and pin down the
problem with Plasma not preserving window layout and settings across
sessions, which I've mentioned in another thread. That problem doesn't
go away when I just try a different user, so my idea was to install
Plasma from scratch rather than as an update to KDE 4.

poc