Plasma5 loss of configurability?

Gerald B. Cox gbcox at bzb.us
Mon Mar 16 14:28:49 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 5:44 AM, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

> Well, I sort of tried it today....   2 problems....
>
> 1.  Using copy en_GB gets you 24 time, but gets you dd/mm/yy in displays.
> 2.  The new locale doesn't show up in the "Systems Settings" menu.  Don't
> know how to get that to work.  I just used "export LC_TIME=" in my .bashrc
> to use the new locale.
>
> I rarely use GNOME and don't have it installed on my F22 test systems.

OK, I expected to get dd/mm/yy since it was using en_GB, so it's working as
I thought.  I looked here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country
and it appears that at first glance no country exists which uses 24 hour
time and mm/dd/yy so the actual code will need to be edited
rather than making a copy... I'll take a shot at that and post.

I am on travel with just my laptop (that I need) so can't install Plasma5
here with me.  You might consider installing GNOME and giving it a shot.
There was another instance I ran into where KDE couldn't do something but
if you did it in GNOME the settings were picked up and displayed correctly
in KDE.  If it were to work a temporary workaround could be for people to
install GNOME to do the configuration.