Plasma5 loss of configurability?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 16 17:30:02 UTC 2015

Gerald B. Cox composed on 2015-03-16 07:28 (UTC-0700):

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 5:44 AM, Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com> wrote:

>> Well, I sort of tried it today....   2 problems....

>> 1.  Using copy en_GB gets you 24 time, but gets you dd/mm/yy in displays.
>> 2.  The new locale doesn't show up in the "Systems Settings" menu.  Don't
>> know how to get that to work.  I just used "export LC_TIME=" in my .bashrc
>> to use the new locale.

>> I rarely use GNOME and don't have it installed on my F22 test systems.

> OK, I expected to get dd/mm/yy since it was using en_GB, so it's working as
> I thought.  I looked here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country
> and it appears that at first glance no country exists which uses 24 hour
> time and mm/dd/yy so the actual code will need to be edited
> rather than making a copy... I'll take a shot at that and post.

Maybe it's a good time to think about switching to unabiguous iso formats. I
much prefer the unambiguous, sortable, big-endian date format, and 24 hour
days that each have 24 hours in them 100% numerically, two formats which can
be combined into one accurate and sortable string of digits with a single
decimal to segregate calendar from clock.

Maybe try en_DK for a while?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/