Network icons documented?

Syam Krishnan syamcr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:12:52 UTC 2015

On 03/17/2015 02:02 PM, Jan Grulich wrote:
> Hi, you can report it on KDE bugzilla [1], but as the main plasma-nm
> developer I'm not going to make this optional, there should be rather
> an information somewhere that your connectivity is limited. Even on
> Windows you would see the same icon if you cannot reach the full internet.

'Limited' only when you *assume* that the machine is connected to the
Internet. That's why I find it irritating when I have machines at
office, connected in a LAN doing exactly what they are expected to do -
but the network icon indicates there's something wrong or lacking. It's
as if Internet is a must-have for a healthy network connection.

> Btw. I just tried to remove NetworkManager-config-connectivity-fedora
> and there is no dependency issue. I can't think of any package (at
> least KDE package) which has it as dependency. [1] -
> https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=plasma-nm&format=guided Jan

If there's a way to disable it, then it's OK. But I'd rather have it as
a GUI option than edit/delete some file or remove a package.

Syam