Fedora 22 updates for KDE Plasma 5.4.3 and KDE Frameworks 5.16.0

Fredy Neeser nfd at zurich.ibm.com
Mon Nov 16 16:08:11 UTC 2015

> From: Sudhir Khanger <ml at sudhirkhanger.com>
> To: KDE on Fedora discussion <kde at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: 16.11.2015 16:42
> Subject: Re: Fedora 22 updates for KDE Plasma 5.4.3 and KDE Frameworks
5.16.0
> Sent by: kde-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> On Monday 16 Nov 2015 2:08:05 PM Fredy Neeser wrote:
> > Logout from KDE, open a VT and backup config as follows:
> >   $ cd
> >   $ mkdir kde-old-config
> >   $ mv .config ~/kde-old-config
> >   $ mv .local ~/kde-old-config
> >   $ mv .kde ~/kde-old-config
> >
> > At this point, Plasma 5.4.3 is stable for my existing user account (at
> > least as stable as 5.3.2  ...).
>
> Isn't that like losing settings of all of your programs aka a new account

> anyways?

True, I had to restore my desktop (widgets) as well as some KDE
application settings  :-(

However, there doesn't really seem to be a clean upgrade procedure
for the KDE settings in .config, .local and .kde, and with the update
to Plasma 5.4.3, KDE got so confused that it wouldn't work properly
with my old KDE settings.
(Not sure if there are any attempts to move KDE application settings
 to a more robust database approach).

Given that my existing user account was from F20 times and updated to F22,
it was easier to clean up the settings and restore them on an as-needed
basis from ~/kde-old-config, rather than trying to "fix" the accumulated
history in the 3 folders ...

This way I can rule out that KDE apps are crashing because of
obsolete / misleading application settings.

I hope such drastic cleaning won't be needed after future Plasma 5 updates.

Best regards,
Fredy Neeser
IBM Zurich Research