Fedora 22 updates for KDE Plasma 5.4.3 and KDE Frameworks 5.16.0

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Nov 16 16:14:11 UTC 2015

Am 16.11.2015 um 17:08 schrieb Fredy Neeser:
>> From: Sudhir Khanger <ml at sudhirkhanger.com>
>> On Monday 16 Nov 2015 2:08:05 PM Fredy Neeser wrote:
>>> Logout from KDE, open a VT and backup config as follows:
>>>    $ cd
>>>    $ mkdir kde-old-config
>>>    $ mv .config ~/kde-old-config
>>>    $ mv .local ~/kde-old-config
>>>    $ mv .kde ~/kde-old-config
>>>
>>> At this point, Plasma 5.4.3 is stable for my existing user account (at
>>> least as stable as 5.3.2  ...).
>>
>> Isn't that like losing settings of all of your programs aka a new account
>
> True, I had to restore my desktop (widgets) as well as some KDE
> application settings  :-(
>
> However, there doesn't really seem to be a clean upgrade procedure
> for the KDE settings in .config, .local and .kde, and with the update
> to Plasma 5.4.3, KDE got so confused that it wouldn't work properly
> with my old KDE settings.
> (Not sure if there are any attempts to move KDE application settings
> to a more robust database approach).
>
> Given that my existing user account was from F20 times and updated to F22,
> it was easier to clean up the settings and restore them on an as-needed
> basis from ~/kde-old-config, rather than trying to "fix" the accumulated
> history in the 3 folders ...

no idea what exactly your problem was / is but F20 updated to F22 is
nothing - my current userhome is from F9 and runs Plasma 5.4.3 / KF
5.16.0 on F23 without purge all

widgets and some application settings got lost anyways by the switch to
KDE5 but i don't see a reason to purge everything when before larger
updates a backup of the userhome and in doubt "dnf downgrade" would work
for a restore