kate crashes

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Oct 3 23:02:17 UTC 2015

Am 04.10.2015 um 00:53 schrieb Ed Greshko:
> On 10/03/2015 11:50 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> Is there any other type of work other than serious work?   :-) :-)
>>>
>>> As a rule I don't have that many files open at once mostly because I can lose track of what I was doing.  Yes, a personal problem.   Anyway, I'll give this a go with a large number of eml files in the morning and see if I get the same results.

>>> OK...  And, BTW, my /var/lib/systemd/coredump/ directory is empty.
>>>
>>> I only get plasmashell crashes and freezes at the moment.  Not as much as before, but still annoying.
>>
>> [276916.928647] kate[3709]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fa027a53358 sp 00007ffec232acd0 error 4 in libkdeinit5_kate.so[7fa027a0e000+b5000]
>>
>> * just opened kate (in a terminal because krunner is gone again)
>> * wrote a few chars
>> * click "close document"
>> * select dicard changes
>> * kate crashs
>
> This morning I saved 151 emails from T-Bird into .eml files.  I then opened them all with kate and one-by-one made changes to each and then closed them while discarding changes.  I did this 6 times, that's a lot of clicking, and had no crashes.  Also did what you did above 20 times without a problem.
>
> Have you given any consideration that there may be something unique to your environment?  You've not said, but have you gotten the crashes on more than one system?  And/Or have you tried either to
>
> a.  Create a new user and without making changes to the default environment tried to replicate the crashes
>
> b.  Created a Virtual Machine and without "customizing" too much tried to replicate the crashes

that's not an option - i need my machine to work and it did until
upgrade to F22, frankly there are two machines with synchronized
settings and userhomes with a ton of workload for 5 fulltime jobs

if i need to rebuild my preferences and suerhome i could straight go
back to Windows where such "handling" is normal