kate crashes

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sat Oct 3 23:26:31 UTC 2015

On 10/04/2015 07:02 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 04.10.2015 um 00:53 schrieb Ed Greshko:

>>> [276916.928647] kate[3709]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fa027a53358 sp 00007ffec232acd0 error 4 in libkdeinit5_kate.so[7fa027a0e000+b5000]
>>>
>>> * just opened kate (in a terminal because krunner is gone again)
>>> * wrote a few chars
>>> * click "close document"
>>> * select dicard changes
>>> * kate crashs
>>
>> This morning I saved 151 emails from T-Bird into .eml files.  I then opened them all with kate and one-by-one made changes to each and then closed them while discarding changes.  I did this 6 times, that's a lot of clicking, and had no crashes.  Also did what you did above 20 times without a problem.
>>
>> Have you given any consideration that there may be something unique to your environment?  You've not said, but have you gotten the crashes on more than one system?  And/Or have you tried either to
>>
>> a.  Create a new user and without making changes to the default environment tried to replicate the crashes
>>
>> b.  Created a Virtual Machine and without "customizing" too much tried to replicate the crashes
>
> that's not an option - i need my machine to work and it did until upgrade to F22, frankly there are two machines with synchronized settings and userhomes with a ton of workload for 5 fulltime jobs
>
> if i need to rebuild my preferences and suerhome i could straight go back to Windows where such "handling" is normal

Oh, well.  If you're unable to do any work to attempt to narrow down the source of the problem and others are unable to reproduce the problem then kind of hard to find and fix the problem.  Also, if you do BZ the problem, kind of hard to expect too much attention being given to a one off problem.

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from computers altogether.