Dolphin drag-and-drop

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 16:37:43 UTC 2015

I have several Dolphin windows, some with split panes, taking up a lot
of screen space. Each pane contains multiple nested folders and it's
not possible to have the entire set in view at once, either because
they're scrolled out of sight or because one window is overlapping
another.

If I want to drag and drop a file from one pane to a specific position
in another (such as to a closed folder in the target pane), they have
to both be visible before I start. IOW after grabbing the file with the
left button (and keeping the button depressed) the target pane will not
pop to the top of the window stack so I can point at the destination
folder, and if the folder happens to be visible it won't open so I can
walk down the tree. This is less functional than other systems
(Windows, MacOS and no doubt other Linux file browsers).

Is there a way to configure Dolphin to get the desired behaviour? I
know I can use right-click copy and paste but that's not what I'm
asking.

poc