F22 / KDE5

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Wed Sep 16 18:05:12 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 16 September 2015 11:34:32 Dan Mossor wrote:
> On 09/16/2015 03:05 AM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > show of hands then... who likes kde5?
> >
> > Quoting Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com>:

> >> It's a mistake to assume because there are five email chains started
> >> by the same person that 99% of people agree.
> >>
> >> --
> >> imalone
> >> http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk
>
> I like Plasma5, even with all of it's bugs and idiosyncrasies. I
> recommend it to every person I speak with regarding Fedora over GNOME -
> while it has some usability issues, it is still head and shoulders above
> the Workstation edition of Fedora.
>
> With that said, however, if you want to stay on a tested and reliable
> version, then you are using the wrong operating system. CentOS 7.1 still
> ships with KDE4. It is within the Fedora/RH ecosystem and based on
> Fedora 19 - if your workflow was established with KDE4 in 19 or 20, then
> you should feel right at home on CentOS 7.1.

Yep... you're right about that. Not going to argue.. and thanks for providing
a straight answer to a simple question.

Be that as it may. The issue is not one of tried and tested. Its a question of
complete and testable. I have had no trouble using the "Unstable / Testing
repos of kde-redhat and have always preferred the "testing" repo over the
"stable" My objection... is that the KDE dev team justified to themselves a
gold release when (at least from this user's perspective) the state of
development was a well tested alpha.. on the verge of going Beta... and that
being said... I have not yet heard word as to when the remaining components of
what we have been accustomed to in the past will be brought into "production".
On top of that software crashes, and surprises like konsole windows going
black. and then blaming drivers when every other XWindows manager and
accompanying software behave just fine.. But if it effects KDE it must be a
driver bug. The list goes on as you can read from the posts that have been
flowing over the last several days.

And Reindl is providing loads of observations regarding usability and
stability.

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

lol

Eli