Systray (was Re: F22 / KDE5)

Ben Rosser rosser.bjr at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:21:16 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 3:57 AM, Piotr Gbyliczek <
piotr.gbyliczek at reconnix.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 September 2015 19:22:28 Felix Miata wrote:
> > Kevin Kofler composed on 2015-09-16 23:47 (UTC+0200):
> > >
> > > That explanation is incomplete. No 2 major versions of KDE can coexist
> in
> > > the same prefix. The reason OpenSUSE's KDE 3 is parallel-installable
> (with
> > > KDE/Plasma 4 or Plasma 5) is that they used the /opt/kde3 prefix for
> it.
> > > They stopped doing that with their KDE 4 packaging and now use the
> > > standard
> > > /usr prefix instead. So they are now stuck in the same situation as we
> > > are.
> >
> > Just guessing, using /opt might have been so that kde2 and kde3 could
> have
> > been released in parallel, as happened with kde3 (in /opt) and kde4
> > (standard), to avoid what happened when kde3 was deprecated in favor of
> kde4
> > before it evolved into a similarly competent replacement. In openSUSE,
> kde3
> > remains available in standard repos, though it's not available as a
> primary
> > DE selection in its installer.
>

> Looking at this discussion, I'm almost sure that people that would like to
> have KDE4 won't be bothered with having Plasma 5 installed, so Copr repo
> that
> removes Plasma 5  would be ideal for them :)
>
> I'm personally not that eager to get my system updated to latest release of
> Fedora, so I'm hoping when I will update, Plasma 5 will be much more
> usable to
> me. However, I can give some of my time to help track packages and add
> Obsoletes to spec files if somebody gives me separate Copr repo and some
> basic
> guidelines how one should work with such task.
>
> Regards,
> Piotr

I am essentially in the same position (although usually I *am* more eager
to upgrade from Fedora N-1 to Fedora N; the only time I've ever held off
before was Fedora 15 and that was because of the GNOME change... which is,
ironically, why I switched to KDE).

I'd be willing to donate some time to such an effort (KDE4 in a Copr for
Fedora 22+) too; if there are a couple other people who are serious about
this perhaps we should start a new thread on the subject?

Ben Rosser