A near freeze of plasma

Colin J Thomson colin.thomson at g6avk.co.uk
Sun Sep 20 23:58:37 UTC 2015

On Sunday 20 Sep 2015 18:36:46 Glenn Holmer wrote:
> On 09/18/2015 06:49 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > On 09/19/15 07:19, Ed Greshko wrote: The best way to get a "near
> > freeze" is to tell everyone that you've not had one in at least a
> > week.  Seriously, less than one hour after writing this I got a "near
> > freeze" and was able to confirm that "killall -9 drkonqi" got me
> > going again.
>
> I've reached my limit with the Plasma 5 freezes. Speaking to users
> who've tried alpha builds: do you think there's any hope of this
> situation improving in Fedora 23? I see we're scheduled for a beta this
> week. If the cause of the freezes hasn't been found yet, I'll start
> making other plans for this machine.

Well I've been running 5.4.1 for a while now, which I think it has been pushed
to stable and I have not seen any actual "freeze" at all on this box.

Nouveau drivers FWIW

I get do the odd crash of plasma (some days it is fine) but I can always
switch to another virtual desktop and restart plasma. Which is strange to say
the least.
I have not yet found the trigger of this and Drkonq never shows up when it
happens. Bit of a weird one.

My only real gripe with P5 now is the amount of RAM it eats over the course of
a day.. up to almost 5 gig now and hitting swap! (8 gig on this box) uptime ~
17 hours. So kquitapp plasmashell resets it nicely.

Still searching kde.bugs for this one.

Not much help but thought I would share this.

Colin
--
Fedora 22 - (Twenty Two)
Registered Linux user number #342953