Has anyone tried linking our DLLs and MS Visual Studio code?

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Thu Dec 11 18:22:13 UTC 2008

Op donderdag 11-12-2008 om 17:45 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Richard
W.M. Jones:
> The question was raised today as to whether it really works.
>
> We expect that C will work.  We (Red Hat) haven't actually tried the
> combination of our DLLs and MS VC-compiled C code.
>
> We expect / are almost certain that C++ won't work.  C++ code may link
> and fail in creative ways, such as exceptions disappearing, or maybe
> it just won't link at all.
>
> Rich.

Hi,

I haven't tried cross-compiling anything with the MinGW GCC of Fedora
yet, but I do have tried to call MinGW compiled DLL's (build on a Vista
host) from Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 applications (both plain C code).

Mixing MinGW produced DLL's with Visual Studio applications works, but
there are some caveats to it. The most annoying thing is that file
pointers aren't exchangeable between MinGW and Visual Studio. Normally
this isn't a problem, but for example with GLib, there's a function to
open a file (g_open, which returns a file pointer), but there are no
functions to read/write data to it making it practically useless in a
mixed environment. A few months ago this was also discussed on the
gtk-devel mailing list [1] but unfortunately nothing happened since
then.

Regards,

Erik van Pienbroek

[1]: http://www.mail-archive.com/gtk-devel-list@gnome.org/msg08138.html