Server Spin

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Tue Jan 20 10:00:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 10:10 +0100, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> While I'm not disagreeing, why not create "single CD install media" with
> an option (in the isolinux.cfg menu) to have the minimum (working) set
> of packages be installed, and the rest of the installation menu
> interactive (partitioning, root password)?
>
> Bearing in mind that the Fedora Project already releases CDs, and that
> I've fixed package ordering, the simplest win would be to add the menu
> entry to the isolinux.cfg, and include one kickstart file on the disk
> with just a %packages section.
>
> A user would still be able to run the normal installation procedure, or
> supply a different kickstart on the cmdline (including the %packages
> kickstart on the cdrom?) for full automation.
>
> Just a thought Fedora Unity has been pondering on, at popular demand.
> I'm as far as getting Revisor into shape to do the job.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen van Meeuwen
> -kanarip
Jeroen,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you mean by this that, effectively,
there'd be a kind of menu that would allow, more or less, different
"spins" or flavors of Fedora to be installed from the same installation
media by default?

If so, I find that idea really fascinating, given that enough packages
are able to fit on one CD to support more than one installation.

Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
www.basilgohar.com