[Fedora-spins] Help creating a spin

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Thu Aug 28 10:49:52 UTC 2008

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>> Hey Jon,
>>
>> good to see you here ;-)
>
>> Third, if you create a new user on your system, and set it up the way you
>> want it (autostarting Firefox with a certain page, shortcuts on the desktop,
>> etc.), log out and back in to your own user account. Then, copy every file
>> you want to be on the live media into a tree such as:
>>
>> /tmp/home/user/.gconf
>> /tmp/usr/lib/firefox-1.X/whateverplugin.so
>>
>> Then, use Revisor's copy_dir setting to copy the tree, in this case /tmp,
>> right onto what is going to be the live system root directory.
>
> Right, I've finally reached the point in my project where I'm ready to
> begin creating the live cd (woo!).
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1) I need livna to begin with (haven't converted files to theora/ogg
> yet). When I specify livna in the ks using the mirrorlist from my
> livna.repo file, it hangs.

Hmm, what does the kickstart section with regards to the repository
configuration look like?

> 2) copy_dir goes in the revisor.conf file right?

Yes, in the model configuration, e.g.:

[f9-i386-foo]
description=(...)
(...)
copy_dir=/tmp (which btw in general is a bad location to choose for
copy_dir because of all the other bits that are in there, but OK)

> 3) Where does this copy the data too? For now I need it to be copied
> to the home directory of the livecd's user.

Everything in the copy_dir directory tree should be copied over "/" on
the live system.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip