[Fedora-spins] 2009-12-28 Spins SIG meeting links

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 22:58:23 UTC 2009

Hi All,

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> The meeting had reports on lmza and issues with liveusb building.
> The haskell and moblin spin proposals were discussed and some questions
> generated, but voting was deferred.
>
> Minutes: http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2009-12-28/fedora-meeting.2009-12-28-21.05.html
> Minutes (text): http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2009-12-28/fedora-meeting.2009-12-28-21.05.txt
> Log: http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2009-12-28/fedora-meeting.2009-12-28-21.05.log.html

Sorry I missed the meeting, I'm travelling at the moment so its hard
to be near computers and convenient times, I should be able to make
the next one.

To answer in bullet point and to allow for further discussion on the
list in the meeting logs so it can at least be discussed here prior to
the next meeting.

1) The reason for the new fedora-mini*.ks files is to slim down the
build. The difference between that and using a standard desktop one is
about 150 meg on a live CD the last time I tested it and when the
Moblin livecd is currently 400 meg that's quite a difference. I've
been working to and planning to work further to get the changes merged
in upstream. There are a number of bugs filed already and in Jan when
I have some more time I'll be following it up with other stuff.

2) The mesa-dri-drivers-experimental is needed for 3D on ATI based
cards otherwise the Moblin interace is unusable with those devices (15
seconds + to activate a menu) but with luck that should be obsolete
for F-13

3) ssmtp is only included as its small and cronie currently requires
an MTA. Its not enabled. If one isn't specifically set it pulls in
exim which in turn pulls in perl adding 50+ meg to the liveCD. Similar
issues with sendmail and postfix. There is a separate NoMTA feature
being proposed for F-13 with RHBZ bug 548843 being the only blocker to
having no MTA at all. Other option is to remove cronie.

4) most of the rest of the stuff is documented in the kick start files
and its mostly to remove things that would never/rarely be used in a
netbook or other small device. This includes printing related things
(cups/drivers/ etc), corporate and server stuff (FCA and other server
firmwares, nfs/cifs/iscsi/fcoe),  services (yp/nis/dns/smtp), and
other non sensical stuff that isn't generally used on MID/Netbook and
other small devices such as scanners, perl, etc. I originally started
with a fedora-desktop-base file and had about 4 or 5 pages of -blah so
I figured it was going to be easier and neater to start with nothing
and then add what I needed. I've had quite a bit of interest in it
from various areas.

Cheers,
Peter