[Fedora-spins] 2009-12-28 Spins SIG meeting links

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Dec 28 23:08:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 22:58:23 +0000,
  Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) The reason for the new fedora-mini*.ks files is to slim down the
> build. The difference between that and using a standard desktop one is
> about 150 meg on a live CD the last time I tested it and when the
> Moblin livecd is currently 400 meg that's quite a difference. I've
> been working to and planning to work further to get the changes merged
> in upstream. There are a number of bugs filed already and in Jan when
> I have some more time I'll be following it up with other stuff.

Do you think it might be better to remove more stuff from live-base and
add it back in to live-desktop where needed? And remove the need for
a fedora-mini-base.ks? Or perhaps if the mini ks is still desireable,
to base it over of live-base instead of starting from scratch. This would
probably help with maintenance down the road.

> 2) The mesa-dri-drivers-experimental is needed for 3D on ATI based
> cards otherwise the Moblin interace is unusable with those devices (15
> seconds + to activate a menu) but with luck that should be obsolete
> for F-13

That's pretty much what we figured, but there should probably be a deadline
where if the graphics supoort is ready, the official spin gets pushed to
F14 instead of F13.

> other small devices such as scanners, perl, etc. I originally started
> with a fedora-desktop-base file and had about 4 or 5 pages of -blah so
> I figured it was going to be easier and neater to start with nothing
> and then add what I needed. I've had quite a bit of interest in it
> from various areas.

The issue with that approach is that if some change is made to add a
feature to live-base it isn't going to get included in the mini ks.
It might be safer to maintain a long subtraction list.