[Fedora-spins] [spin-kickstarts] add ec2 kickstart

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Mar 1 01:32:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:01:52 -0600, Dennis Gilmore
<ausil at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Monday, February 28, 2011 05:53:49 PM Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> > commit 513737f702097eeda95158cbf38517b65f1ec79b
>> > Author: Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us>
>> > Date:   Fri Feb 25 20:06:35 2011 -0600
>> >
>> >     add ec2 kickstart
>>
>> This is... interesting.
>>
> Ithe kickstart was created by the cloud sig
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud_SIG, it was a fedora 14 feature
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EC2 i was given a copy of the
> kickstart
> by justin forbes, i checked it in so it wont get lost.  the fedora 14
> images
> were not created by releng. but they are in the process of being
migrated
> across.  Ive not done anything at all to what i was given.

Right. Well, there's a very big difference between "we're going to make a
more recent version of Fedora available on EC2", and "this is a spin".

The difference is spins are actually under some form of control ("trust,
but verify" is my favourite related release engineering quote), and we must
obey by the process or release engineering will never let us actually touch
spins ("this is only your first release cycle" -another favourite quote
worth highlighting).

So, this spin is going to need to undergo regular review, and has been
(however informally) submitted too late for Fedora 15 (2011-02-08 was
Feature Freeze). I suppose the spin maintainer could request an exception.

Furthermore, the spin will have to obey by spin guidelines, including
SELinux being enabled.

Until such time the spin is, regrettably, not acceptable for inclusion, or
we start making a mess of things even before we are allowed to get a grip
on things.

-- Jeroen