[Fedora-spins] XFCE significantly larger for f21

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Aug 18 19:59:07 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 07:56:57 -0500,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
>I base games off of xfce and games is oversize right now and needs to
>be fixed by beta. Part of this is that xfce got 200MB bigger. I did a
>quick look at comps and the ks files and didn't see anything obvious
>that would make it that much larger. So I'm wondering if it should
>really be smaller and I can wait before cutting games or if I going to
>need to cut something in the games spin to get it back under 4GB?

I did some looking around and it does look like the difference is new
packages that weren't there before. There are a number of new packages in
f22 (I looked at rawhide as I had the iso handy) as compared to f20. But it
looks like the space is pretty spread out. So with some work, some of the
space might be reclaimable, but I expect that things are just going to be
bigger this release.

A couple of big ones were rodent-icon-theme (36 MB) and adwaita-icon-theme
(15 MB), but it's possible those are replacing something else and the
net gain is really smaller.

python3 adds some space. It looks like anaconda and abrt related packages
either weren't in there before or had package name changes. There are also
a few new font packages.