sessions, voting, and the next flock

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jun 3 17:18:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:49:23 -0400 (EDT)
Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:

> > * As I was voting, I felt that I didn't personally want to go to
> > some of the hackfests (already overcommitted on the hackfests that
> > I need to go to) but I also felt like that shouldn't stop that
> > hackfest from being held. If three people were already planning on
> > attending flock and were excited to hold a Fedora on Alpha hackfest
> > with each other I don't think we'd do anything (or could ;-) to
> > stop them.
> >   - Maybe in the future we could separate the hackfests into a
> > separate section.  Hackfests where the organizer would be attending
> > flock would have their hackfests accepted to the schedule.
> > Hackfests where the hackfest organizer needed sponsorship money to
> > attend could be vetted to determine whether we would fund them or
> > not.
>
> Agreed, but space has to be considered too. Maybe one room with no
> schedule could help to meet for the rest of hackfest with not as many
> votes to be scheduled.

I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to try and allocate 2 rooms:

a) quiet hacking (low voices/discussion, but power and a place to sit
down) People could use this to work on talks last minute or write up
plans or the like without loud discussions derailing them or the like.

b) community room. people could gather in small groups and talk here
and discuss/hash out things or work on writeups or small hackfests that
only have a few people interested. If you didn't want to go to any of
the talks/hackfests going on then, you could wander into the community
room and listen in on all the small groups and join in if you wanted.

I guess thats a bit of just more formalizing the 'hallway track'.

(The community room could perhaps just be a big room after keynotes,
etc).

Just a thought...

kevin