Bandwidth planning for video

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 17:46:11 UTC 2015

I spoke with Tom and Ruth earlier about planning Flock bandwidth with
the hotel.  The Hangouts On Air requirements are not too
strict,probably because of the encoder used locally:

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/1216376

This shows ~2.6 Mbps uplink bandwidth required per stream (room).  We
would want to caution people in the room from getting on the live
stream while we're uplinking.  (It wouldn't make sense anyway, but
people do weird things in the name of "testing.")

If we have six rooms, that means ~16 Mbps upstream bandwidth required.
Can the Hyatt provide?

* * *

Standard YouTube requirements, by the way, are more stringent, but I
think this is designed for professionals or others not using the
Hangouts feature:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702?hl=en