Bandwidth planning for video

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 15 17:59:50 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> I spoke with Tom and Ruth earlier about planning Flock bandwidth with
> the hotel.  The Hangouts On Air requirements are not too
> strict,probably because of the encoder used locally:
>
> https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/1216376
>
> This shows ~2.6 Mbps uplink bandwidth required per stream (room).  We
> would want to caution people in the room from getting on the live
> stream while we're uplinking.  (It wouldn't make sense anyway, but
> people do weird things in the name of "testing.")
>
> If we have six rooms, that means ~16 Mbps upstream bandwidth required.
> Can the Hyatt provide?

If not, we also discussed not doing streaming in all the rooms.  The
number of hits we got on the live streams over the past two Flocks
were fairly low.  It's quite a bit of hassle to set this up and we
want to make sure it's actually worthwhile for all talks instead of
just for the large room.

josh