Flock voting issues

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 4 19:56:11 UTC 2015

Hello,

Over the past few weeks the Flock staff has dealt with a number of
issues regarding talks and votes.  We'd like to address these shortly,
so as to limit similar issues in the immediate future.

It has come to our attention that at least one Flock talk received a
large number of votes from people that have no realistic intention of
attending the conference.  We have also had requests to swap out
accepted talks with a talk that wasn't even on the ballot, or to
combine the scores of two low voted talks into one talk about both
topics.  While none of these actions or requests are against any
rules, they certainly go against the spirit of voting for Flock talks.
The vote is to allow people attending the conference to have a large
hand in setting the agenda for it, therefore making it the best
possible conference for the participants.

None of the aforementioned actions or requests have had any impact on
the actual Flock agenda, but they are still disappointing.  The Flock
staff will be reevaluating talk votes, the process we use for them,
and the eligibility of voters for the next Flock.  We welcome
discussion on these topics so that we can reach a plan that best meets
the Fedora Project's goals.

josh, for the Flock staff.