Fwd: Maithili language support gdm problem in Fedora

Rahul Bhalerao b.rahul.pm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 10:14:02 UTC 2008

forwarding on fedora-i18n-list as well.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rahul Bhalerao <b.rahul.pm at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: Maithili language support gdm problem in Fedora
To: "Parag N(पराग़)" <panemade at gmail.com>

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Parag N(पराग़) <panemade at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  We have already missed F10 Alpha release and I am still struggling
> to get Maithili language support included in rawhide. The problem I see
> is that we need to modify fontconfig package to include Maithili
> language. I submitted bug[1] to add Maithili in  bugzilla against
> fontconfig 3 months back. But package maintainer of fontconfig closed it
> instantly and made it upstream[2].
>   I submitted required input in upstream bug. But, still no response
> from upstream. If package maintainer is not willing to do code level
> changes and also upstream then I will see no progress to add Maithili
> language support in Fedora. So even if we will get translations and all
> other changes done in Fedora by F10 release to support Maithili, users
> will not able to see Maithili language selection in gdm.
>  Can anyone provide inputs on this issue? Otherwise I will move ahead
> and will commit required changes in rawhide and build new package as I
> can see ACLs are open on fontconfig.

How much important is it to have an entry for the language in the file
fcfreetype.c of fontconfig and related entry in the header file
ttnameid.h of freetype2?
I observed that to have the language listed in gdm selection list,
both of these entries are necessary. But that raises one more question
that is, for languages that do not have MS or MAC codes, what has to
be done as all the language and their codes listed in these files are
defined according to the MS and MAC codes? There are many languages
including Maithili, in iso639-2 that do not have such codes.

_
Rahul.

--
Rahul.